- Kirstjen Nielsen Steps Down as DHS Secretary
- Gov't: It May Take 2 Years to Reunite Separated Migrant Families
- NY Man Arrested for Threatening to Murder Rep. Ilhan Omar
- Trump Attacks Migrants, Rep. Omar in Speech to Conservative Jewish Group
- Arizona: Man Dies in ICE Custody After Exhibiting Flu Symptoms
- Yemen: Air Raid Kills At Least 13 Civilians, Incl. 7 Children in Sana'a
- Netanyahu Says He Will Annex West Bank Settlements If Re-elected
- Libya: 21 People Killed as Renegade Force Advances on Tripoli
- Sudan: Security Forces Crack Down on Growing Popular Uprising
- Reports: U.S. to Label Iran Revolutionary Guard as Terror Group
- Motel 6 to Pay $12 Million for Giving ICE Personal Guest Info
- Hampshire College President Steps Down After Months of Protests
- American Airlines Cancels More Flights Due to Boeing 737 MAX Fixes
- NYC: Activists Protest Whitney Museum Board Member, Maker of Tear Gas
As President Donald Trump pushes for more defense spending from NATO countries, we speak with Joe Cirincione, president of the Ploughshares Fund, about how Trump’s foreign policy benefits weapons manufacturers. During an Oval Office meeting Tuesday with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, President Trump demanded Germany and other NATO countries increase their military spending from 2 to 4% of GDP. But Cirincione says NATO’s biggest problem is not insufficient funding. “The biggest problem NATO faces is the president of the United States, who keeps putting in doubt U.S. commitment to the alliance, who keeps putting in doubt whether the U.S. will come to the aid of NATO allies if they’re attacked,” he says. Cirincione also calls national security adviser John Bolton a “serial arms control killer.”
A wrongful death case was filed against Boeing on the same day that a preliminary investigation into last month’s Ethiopian Airlines crash revealed damning details about the aircraft manufacturer and raised new questions about whether it gave pilots proper instructions for navigating new software. The findings were released Thursday in Ethiopia, based on the analysis of a team of 18 investigators, less than a month after the Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 crash killed all 157 people on board. The report found similarities in the technical issues experienced by pilots on both the Ethiopian Airlines flight and October’s Indonesian Lion Air Flight 610, which also crashed just minutes after takeoff, killing all 189 people on board. Both flights were on a Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft. On Thursday, the first American lawsuit related to the devastating crash was filed against Boeing on behalf of the family of 24-year-old Samya Stumo, who died on the flight. Samya was the grandniece of Ralph Nader, the longtime consumer advocate, corporate critic and former presidential candidate. We speak with Nader about his calls to ground all 737 MAX 8 aircraft and the legacy of his grandniece. We also speak with Paul Hudson, the president of Flyers Rights, the largest nonprofit airline passenger rights organization in the U.S.
The first American lawsuit has been filed against Boeing for its role in the Ethiopian Airlines crash that left 157 people dead last month. The family of 24-year-old Samya Stumo, who died in the crash, sued Boeing and filed a claim against the Federal Aviation Administration on Thursday. They filed the suit in federal court in Chicago, where Boeing is headquartered. It reads in part, “Blinded by its greed, Boeing haphazardly rushed the 737 MAX 8 to market, with the knowledge and tacit approval of the United States Federal Aviation Administration … Boeing’s decision to put profits over safety … and the regulators that enabled it, must be held accountable for their reckless actions.” Samya Stumo’s father, mother and brother spoke alongside their lawyer at a press conference announcing the lawsuit.
- Congress Approves Resolution to End U.S. Support for War on Yemen
- Report Blames Ethiopian Crash on Boeing 737 MAX Software Failure
- Boeing CEO Apologizes for Crashes That Killed 346 People
- Trump Threatens Mexico with Auto Tariffs over Migration
- Migrants Say Mexico Is Denying Humanitarian Visas Under U.S. Pressure
- 280 Arrested in Texas ICE Raid as Trump Heads to Border
- Rogue Libyan General Advances on Tripoli
- Mozambique Faces Food Emergency as Cholera Cases Mount
- House Reauthorizes Violence Against Women Act Over NRA Objections
- Trump to Nominate Herman Cain to Federal Reserve Board
- Trump Pushed for Speedy Confirmation of IRS Chief Counsel Nominee
- WikiLeaks: Assange May Be Expelled from Embassy Within Hours or Days
- Chelsea Manning, Jailed for Resisting Grand Jury, Released from Solitary Confinement
- Alabama's "Broken" Prisons Rife with Sexual Assault and Violence
- New Mexico Decriminalizes Minor Marijuana Possession Cases
- Johns Hopkins Sit-in Protest Challenges Armed Cops, ICE Contracts
Yellow vest protesters took to the streets of Paris on Saturday for the 20th straight week of anti-government demonstrations, in spite of the French authorities’ crackdown on the movement. Last month, the French government deployed military forces and banned protesters from marching on the Champs-Élyseés and in other areas, after clashes with the police, nearly 200 arrests and damage to businesses by some protesters. Police used tear gas and water cannons on crowds in Paris. More than 33,000 demonstrators nationwide joined the demonstrations Saturday, down from nearly 300,000 in November, according to government estimates. The weekly protests began last year when France announced plans to hike gas taxes, with demonstrators across France taking to the streets to protest President Emmanuel Macron’s government. The demonstrators gained their name by wearing the yellow safety vests that French drivers are required to keep in their cars in case of emergency. Since then, in protests that have now lasted five months, the “yellow vests” have called out Macron’s pro-business economic policies, demanding fair wages for working- and middle-class citizens, and heavier taxation on the wealthy. We go to Paris to speak with Alexis Poulin, the co-founder of the news website Le Monde Moderne.
After two decades in power, longtime President Abdelaziz Bouteflika resigned on Tuesday following weeks of protest. The move came shortly after military leaders called for him to step down. The 82-year-old president has been in power for 20 years and has rarely been seen in public since suffering a stroke in 2013. Algerians have gathered in mass protests for weeks demanding his resignation as well as an overhaul of the current political system, and more protests are scheduled Friday. We speak with Sihem Mellah-Sliker, an Algerian-born activist who moved to the U.S. in 2010 after winning the visa lottery. She founded the group SandByMe to promote Algerian and North African culture. She’s in close touch with her family members and protest leaders in Algeria. Mellah-Sliker is currently an adviser to Democratic New York state Senator Andrew Gounardes and serves on the board of the New York Progressive Action Network.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s AK Party suffered major setbacks in local elections this weekend after dominating the country’s political system since 2003. The AK Party lost control in both of Turkey’s largest cities, Istanbul and Ankara, and is now disputing the results. Voters expressed frustration with Erdogan’s autocratic rule and are also facing soaring inflation and rising unemployment. Now the results are being disputed, and recounts are underway. “Whoever is criticizing Erdogan right now is held accountable for either terrorism charges or libel against the president,” says The New School professor Koray Caliskan, faculty fellow at the Heilbroner Center for Capitalism Studies at The New School who has been indicted 25 times in Turkey. “This is how he’s silencing dissent.”
- Republican "Nuclear Option" Will Speed Confirmation of Trump's Judges
- House Committee Authorizes Subpoena for Full Mueller Report
- House Committee Asks IRS for Six Years of Trump's Tax Returns
- Immigrant Activist Claudio Rojas Deported Ahead of Miami Film Premiere
- Suspect in New Zealand Mosque Massacres to Face 50 Murder Charges
- Australian Senator Censured over "Appalling" NZ Massacre Remarks
- White Power Graffiti Found Near Site of Highlander Center Fire
- Felony Charges Dropped Against African-American Victim of Dallas Attack
- Blast at Texas Chemical Plant Kills 1, Injures 2
- Trump Falsely Claims That Windmills Cause Cancer
- Labor Secretary Acosta Grilled over Plea Deal for Sexual Abuser Jeffrey Epstein
- Joe Biden Promises to Respect Personal Space After Inappropriate Touching Accusations
- New Mexico Governor Signs Bill Replacing Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples' Day
- Philippines Journalist Maria Ressa Pleads Not Guilty to "Politically Motivated" Charges
As President Trump continues his threats to close the U.S.-Mexico border to stop the flow of asylum seekers, we look at the response from Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador and the first four months of his presidency. In Mexico City, we speak with Humberto Beck, professor at El Colegio de México and co-editor of “The Future Is Today: Radical Ideas for Mexico.” He says that while López Obrador doesn’t want to openly confront Trump on stopping immigration, “he knows that sending back migrants to Central America is sending back these people to unlivable situations.”
Chicago voters made history Tuesday when Lori Lightfoot won a landslide victory as both the city’s first African-American woman mayor and openly gay mayor. This comes after a February runoff election that pitted her against Toni Preckwinkle, a former alderperson who is president of the Cook County Board. While Preckwinkle had been viewed as a highly formidable candidate, Lightfoot is a political outsider who has never held elected office. We are joined by Barbara Ransby, professor of African American studies, gender and women’s studies and history at the University of Illinois, Chicago. Her article for The Nation is headlined “The Rising Black Left Movement Behind Chicago’s Historic Elections.”
The House Oversight Committee has subpoenaed the director of White House personnel security after a whistleblower revealed senior Trump officials overturned 25 security clearance denials, despite “serious disqualifying issues.” We speak with California Democratic Congressmember Ro Khanna, who says, “Congressional oversight is not a choice—it’s the law.” We also speak to him about the latest congressional actions around Saudi Arabia and Venezuela.
- Chicago Elects First Woman and Openly Gay Mayor in Lori Lightfoot
- Trump Delays Threat of U.S.-Mexico Border Closure
- Trump Falsely Claims Father Is German-Born, Renews Attacks on NATO Members
- House Dems to Subpoena Ex-WH Official over Security Clearance Reversals
- House Dems to Subpoena Wilbur Ross over Census Citizenship Question
- WaPo: Saudis Giving Money, Lavish Homes to Khashoggi Children
- U.K.: Theresa May to Seek Brexit Extension, Cooperation with Opposition
- DRC: Ebola Outbreak Infects Over 1,000, Kills 680
- Algeria: President Bouteflika Resigns After Weeks of Mass Protests
- Venezuela: Lawmakers Strip Guaidó of Parliamentary Immunity
- Pittsburgh Approves New Gun Control Measures
- California AG Appeals Overturning of High-Capacity Ammunition Ban
- Report: DHS Disbanded Domestic Terrorism Unit Despite Rise of White Supremacism
- U. of Kentucky Students End Protests as Diversity, Food Support Demands Met
- 2019 Izzy Awards Honor Earth Island Journal, Laura Flanders, Aaron Maté & Dave Lindorff
As Trump attacks the Affordable Care Act, we look at the growing case for Medicare for all. More than 100 Democratic lawmakers co-sponsored a House bill last month to dramatically revamp healthcare in the United States by creating a Medicare-for-all system funded by the federal government. The bill would expand Medicare to include dental, vision and long-term care, while making the federally run health program available to all Americans. It would also eliminate health insurance premiums, copayments and deductibles. We speak with Dr. Adam Gaffney, president of Physicians for a National Health Program, which has endorsed the measure.
Just a week after President Trump’s Justice Department supported a federal court ruling to wipe out the Affordable Care Act, Trump changed course in a series of tweets Monday and said he is willing to wait until after the 2020 presidential election for Congress to vote on a new healthcare plan. Trump has vowed to replace the ACA so that the Republican Party will be known as “the party of healthcare.” We speak with Jamie Davis Smith, a mother of four, civil rights attorney and member of Little Lobbyists and Health Care Voter. Her daughter Claire has multiple severe disabilities. In a recent op-ed for The Washington Post, Davis Smith wrote, “If Trump ends Obamacare, keeping my daughter alive will wipe me out.”
We look at the growing push for lawmakers to refuse money from corporate political action committees, as more than half of the Democrats newly elected to Congress have vowed not to accept such donations. We speak with Congressmember Nydia Velázquez of New York, a long-term legislator who has stopped taking corporate PAC donations. “In order to return trust [to] our democratic institutions, we need to … allow for the voters to feel that their voices are heard and that they don’t have to write a big check in order to gain access into our congressional offices,” she says.
We look at the fight in Congress over disaster aid for Puerto Rico since it was ravaged by Hurricane Maria, one of the deadliest storms in U.S. history. On Monday, two competing disaster relief bills stalled in the Senate. A companion to a January package passed in the House failed after Republicans objected to the lack of relief funding for recent flooding in the Midwest. Another Senate bill supported by Republicans fell short of the 60 votes needed. It contained just $600 million for Puerto Rico’s food stamp program, a number Democrats say is far too low as many Puerto Ricans are still recovering from the devastation of 2017’s Hurricane Maria. Democrats also say aid should cover rebuilding and other forms of disaster relief. Trump responded Monday night on Twitter that “Puerto Rico got far more money than Texas & Florida combined, yet their government can’t do anything right, the place is a mess–nothing works.” We get response from New York Congressmember Nydia Velázquez, who has served in the U.S. House of Representatives since 1993. She is the first Puerto Rican woman to be elected to Congress and is the former the chair of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus.
- Whistleblower: WH Security Clearances Reversed Despite Serious Concerns
- Senate Shoots Down Disaster Relief Bills as Fight over Puerto Rico Aid Intensifies
- Trump: GOP Planning "Really Great" Healthcare Plan for After 2020 Election
- U.K.: Lawmakers Shoot Down 4 Brexit Options as Impasse Continues
- Algeria: Pres. Bouteflika to Resign as Protesters Call for Systemic Changes
- West Bank: Israelis Shoot and Kill Palestinian Man During Raid
- Brunei: U.N. Raises Alarm as LGBT Community Threatened by Death Penalty Law
- SCOTUS Rules Against Man Who Says Lethal Injection Would Feel Like Torture
- U.S.-Mexico Border Shutdown Could Cost Billions
- AP: Trump May Name Kris Kobach as "Immigration Czar"
- Measles Cases Surge as States Consider Laws to Curb Outbreak
- Second Woman Alleges Inappropriate Touching by Joe Biden
- FAA: Fixes on Boeing 737 MAX Will Take More Time
- Father of Murdered Student Samantha Josephson to Take on Rideshare Safety
"Our Will of Life Is Stronger Than Despair": Palestinian Ahmed Abu Artema on Israeli Attacks on Gaza
Israeli forces killed four Palestinians, including three teenagers, at a mass demonstration Saturday on the first anniversary of the Great March of Return in Gaza. Israeli soldiers used live ammunition, tear gas and rubber bullets on the protesters. As tens of thousands of Palestinians came out to demand an end to the ongoing siege of Gaza and the right to return to their ancestral land, we speak with Ahmed Abu Artema, the Palestinian poet, journalist and peace activist who inspired the Great March of Return and helped organize it as a cry for help. Artema was frustrated by Israel’s more than decade-long land, sea and air blockade of the Gaza Strip, upon which it has waged three wars in the past 10 years.
President Trump has announced the United States will cut off funding to the so-called Northern Triangle countries of Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador that are the primary source of a wave of migrants seeking asylum at the U.S.-Mexico border, including caravans of families with children. He is also threatening to close the border with Mexico. This comes after Trump declared a national emergency to justify redirecting money earmarked for the military to pay for building a wall at the border. We speak with John Carlos Frey, award-winning investigative reporter and ”PBS NewsHour” special correspondent who has reported extensively on immigration and recently traveled with the first migrant caravan from Central America to the U.S.-Mexico border.